- Published on Tuesday, July 03, 2012
- Written by Todd Roeske
AMC has been working in Tanacross for the last 18 years. Read the press release about their 100th Anniversary below.
St. Timothy’s Church in Tanacross to Celebrate 100th Anniversary Sunday July 15
By Bruce Grossmann, Licensed Deacon
July 2, 2012
St. Timothy’s Church, Tanacross, invites the community to their Service of Thanksgiving & Praise on Sunday, July 15, at 11:00 a.m. A potluck meal will follow the service. The morning service for the 7th Sunday after Pentecost also marks the official start of St. Timothy’s celebration of its 100th Anniversary, with various events planned throughout 2012.
The service will be officiated by Bishop Mark Lattime of the Episcopal Diocese of Alaska and include singing of hymns and musical selections from the seasons of the church year. After the service, weather permitting, a boat will be provided to ferry guests across the river to the old church. A potluck meal will be held in the Tanacross Community Hall, featuring traditional Alaska dishes, salads and desserts. Coffee, tea and other beverages will be provided. It would be appreciated if those attending the potluck meal bring a dish. For more information call Betty Denny at 883-5157.
St. Timothy’s Church was begun a century ago in the native village of Tanana Crossing on the north bank of the Tanana River 200 miles upstream from the town of Fairbanks. Located eight miles overland from the old village at Lake Mansfield, Bishop Rowe of the Episcopal Church established the mission during an exciting period of church evangelism in the Tanana River Valley of Alaska’s interior. In the summer of 1912 the first log mission building was adapted from a trading post established earlier at the village and a school room was later added. Following a fire that destroyed the building, a new church building was constructed in 1955 and witnessed the installation of Deacon David Paul on Ascension Sunday, May 30, 1957, Alaska’s first Athabascan ordained deacon.
The community saw a flurry of activity during World War II when the Tanacross Army Airfield was established and the Alaska Highway construction provided for road travel to Fairbanks, Anchorage and Canada. The village was relocated to the south side of the Tanana River in the early ‘70’s. Today’s present church structure was built with volunteer labor led by Kenny Thomas Sr. and his son Kirby using donated building materials and other community help. Dedicated in 1981, St. Timothy’s continues to proclaim the gospel of Christ to the people of the upper Tanana River, their friends and guests.
St. Timothy’s Church worships each week in word and sacrament at 11 a.m. and is looking to expand its outreach through Sunday school and adult Bible classes. A vacation Bible school session will be sponsored by the Alaska Mission for Christ of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod July 16-20 and all children are invited to participate with their families. For more information, stop by the church and visit with its members or feel free to call (907) 895-1910 anytime.